Tuesday, April 29, 2014

'I WANT a divorce!'







I know you all are looking at the title and thinking, "wait, isn't she too young to be married, anyway?" Well you all can take a HUGE sigh of relief because I am neither married nor I am seeking a divorce. I have heard these words uttered my mother about 6 years ago and I must say, as a child of divorce, it changes your life forever.  In chapter 11-"Forming Relationships in Young and Middle adulthood-we discussed the topic of divorce. We all know that divorce is a dissolution of marriage that affects the couple's finances , family members and children. I remember that very touching video we watched on how divorce affects children and I was very moved by it. I remember feeling those same emotions when my parents separated and divorced. I wanted to have the courage that those children had to tell their parents how their truly felt. Although, my situation was a different one(I was happy to see my parents' marriage come to an end, but the aftermath was traumatic and too graphic to go through in detail here), I still felt those same emotions. As we discussed in class, divorce can come about if a couple has 'fallen out of love' or have 'grown apart'. Some divorces are direct results of drug use by one of both partners. Divorce can also occur when they are money issues, abuse and infidelity. Divorces rates differ among different, ethnicities, socio-economical class and age groups. Regardless of those differences, divorces may be easier to obtain, but not easy to go through. 

(I think the picture below sums up how I feel about divorce and how I felt about my parents' divorce....)


No comments:

Post a Comment