Tuesday, April 29, 2014

'Live long and prosper...'





All my Star Trek fans out there know that those sage words were spoken by none other than Spock himself. (This is the only think I know about Star Trek, but I digress. :P). I like this quote alot and when I was going over chapter 13, I immediately thought about this saying and made the connection between it and longevity. It's no secret that older people are living longer in the 21st century than ever before. Longevity is the number of years that a person can live. As we discussed in class, there are many other ways to calculate longevity. Some of this techniques include: 

"Average life expectancy is the age at which half the people born in a particular year will have diedUseful life expectancy is the number of years a person is free from debilitating chronic disease
Maximum life expectancy
is the oldest age to which any person lives(Dr. T. Witte, HD 101-005, 2014)"


Longevity is also greatly influenced by your hereditary, environment, lifestyle and social class. I find the idea of living a longer life so awesome! New medical technological advances have also added years to certain people lives as well. It think that it is amazing how older age has been completely redefined in the last few years. Just because you have gotten older, does not me you stop living. 


No comments:

Post a Comment